Cable Bay: Developer Changes Direction

At first glance, the article below seems to imply that the movement to stop the Cable Bay development has been won and that there will be no development. But read carefully. It’s just that the developer has changed which part of the land he wants to develop.
This of course begs the question: How will the public react and if they don’t like the new proposed version of the development, do they have the same rights to put a halt to it as they did before? And if they do have the ame rights, does this mean that if they were against it, they’d have to collect all those signatures yet again?
The whole drama is starting to get interesting…
Ryan Coffey
Developer drops Cedar annexation request
Cable Bay project proceeds on city land
Darrell Bellaart
Daily News

Cable Bay Lands no longer wants the city to annex 97 acres of agricultural land in Cedar for an 1,800-unit housing subdivision and golf course.

The developer now proposes to put its entire project on the 422 acres that is already within the city limits.

The impact of the change of the project won’t be known until the developer draws up news plans. That has to happen before it goes to public hearing in the first week in September.

The Calgary developer had originally planned to build its subdivision on the consolidated 519-acre property straddling the south-east corner of Nanaimo and the Regional District of Nanaimo. Once the agricultural land was annexed, it planned to seek an amendment to the official community plan for the entire property, then apply for the necessary zoning. But that idea was thwarted last week when city hall took nearly 8,000 signatures from city residents opposed to the annexation.

That was well above the minimum 10% of city voters needed to force a referendum.

That left the developer with the option of taking its annexation to public referendum or abandoning the process.

Monday night Cable Bay’s intentions were made clear when Coun. Jeet Manhas said the developer plans to abandon its annexation bid.

With the annexation no longer an issue, council still had to deal with the official community plan revision.

That was an issue Coun. Bill Holdom had problems with, since council now has no idea what the new development could look like – if it would still include an 18-hole golf course, 1,876 units of housing or a commercial component.

City planner Andrew Tucker said details will come later.

"Elements of what was on the 97 acres has been relocated to what was Phase 1, with five-acre lots on the east side of the project, and others have been shuffled around," he said. "I don’t have the numbers on what the potential development would be."

It would all have to be made public before it goes to hearing. That is expected to happen on Sept. 4 or 5.

Holdom, who headed up the OCP review committee, said that’s not enough time to analyze it properly.

Mayor Gary Korpan said if more time is needed, a second hearing can be held.

Tucker said because of the timing of the city’s OCP review, the OCP amendment bylaw needed for the project must be given council’s second reading now.

But Manhas said he saw no problem with the timing, saying developers typically reveal their detailed plans at hearings, then the public responds.

No comments

You must be logged in to post a comment.